Saturday, May 03, 2008

So Long Swaddle

This has been one of our best friends since Emma Kate was born (I highly recommend it to any new moms out there), but Thursday night we decided it was time to finally say goodbye! She was getting to the point where she could get her arms out of the top and she was no longer able to stretch her legs out all the way. I was really worried about how she would transition to sleeping without it because she was such a good sleeper with it, but so far so good! It was so funny, every time I would go check on her the first night her arms were straight out to the side and her legs were straight down. It was like she was saying "I'm FREE!"
Also, we're contemplating starting her on cereal. For the last week she has been waking up at about 4:30 every morning. (Another reason we decided to try sleeping without the swaddle). I had been feeding her, but the last 2 mornings I decided to just leave her in there and see what she would do, and she ended up just talking and playing until 7! Crazy girl!! We're definitely going to have to get this straightened out by summer. :) So, when did all of you start your babies on cereal?

10 comments:

Janet said...

We started Cole on cereal at 4mos! He played with it at first...but he LOVED it when we added applesauce or sweetpotatoes! Good Luck!

Dustin and Allyson Wall said...

I had to go back and look to see when we started Taylor on cereal. We started at 4 1/2 months. I remember it took a while for her to get the hang of it. We would give her a bite, then give her a gulp of formula from her bottle and that helped her wash it down until she learned that she should swallow it.

I can't believe how big she's getting. She's prettier every time I see her!!!

Ashley said...

We started Carley on cereal at like 4 - 4 1/2 months. It took awhile for her to love it, but once we started mixing with green beans or peas she loved it. It did make a difference for us on Carley sleeping longer and feeling full longer. Even just a couple of bites made her feel so big and really develop those mouth muscles.

I do recommend starting it at night though so she is full then and not full from 8-noon in the morning but through the night. I always like to sleep on a full tummy myself! :)

Ashley said...

about 4 months...

Denae said...

We didn't start cereal until 6 months....but maybe you should try it. But I think you should give her a couple of more days first and see if her schedule adjusts back to normal. There have been a few times that Will has woken up earlier than usual for about a week, but he always goes back to normal.

The Stanford Family said...

I started Graham at about 4 months. He did not care for rice cereal though. Jinnifer told me to try oatmeal and he loved it. We put a little bit of applesauce in it also. We feed it to him at night for a while and then started to do it both morning and night. And now he only gets it in the morning. He stopped wanting it at night probably at about 9 months or so.

Whew! I probably could have told all of this to you at school, but sometimes I never see you!!! So sad!

Jamie said...

We started around 5 months... and Abi did not like the cereal... She had horrible gassy, icky cereal tummy! Trust me, you'll know if it doesn't sit well with Emma Kate! Abi LOVED oatmeal and we would add a few spoonfuls of applesauce and it was a wonder for helping her sleep! :) Good luck!

Amy said...

We started cereal at 6 months and that's also when Charlie started to sleep through the night every night. I don't know if it was the cereal or not -- I never thought about it until now! He didn't like it much the first few times but after that he ate like a champ. Good luck -- EKs so wonderful I get she does just fine with it. Oh, and Charlie was in his swaddler until 9 months. We thought we were going to have to swaddle him until college!

Kelli Marchbanks said...

Both of mine were 5 1/2 months old when we started cereal. Garrett had started waking up early about that time, but the cereal didn't help him. Oatmeal was the favorite- neither of them cared too much for the rice. Good luck!

Ashley said...

I know you've taken more pictures of EK since you last blogged...